1. In Creation(v.15 – 17)
* Image – in greek it is where the english word “icon” came from. Image of the invisible God means when you see Christ, you see God the Father
*Firstborn denotes preeminence or rank rather than order in creation.
Paul supports his claims in v.16 – 17
- All things were created by him, through him and for him(v.16)
- He predates all things (17a)
- In him all things holds together(17b)
2. In Redemption(v.18 -20)
His preeminence in everything is the necessary consequence of the following.
- His headship in the church
- Being the beginning
- His resurrection
- All of this is possible because he is deity
- Therefore he is able to reconcile to himself all things through his atoning sacrifice at the cross.